Welcome to iStoryBooks!
Our Privacy Trust Philosophy
iStoryBooks is committed to providing you with a fun and educational experience. We take your privacy very seriously.
Table of Contents
- What Information We Collect From You (including description of cookies and web beacons)
- What We Do with Your Information
- Reviewing, Editing and Deleting Your Account Information and Preferences (including Choice/Opt Out Mechanism)
- How We Protect the Confidentiality and Security of Your Information
- Children’s Privacy
- Countries in Which Data is Processed
- Links to Other Sites
- Contact Us
This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that iStoryBooks does not own or control, or to people that iStoryBooks does not employ or manage.
What Information We Collect From You
We do not collect personally identifiable information from casual browsers of our website and you may browse our website anonymously. If a non-account holder sends us email, we collect and store these communications.
If you wish to access or download premium content from iStoryBooks, you will need to register with us to create an account. To create an account, we ask for information such as your name, email address, payment information, and communication preferences. When you register with iStoryBooks and sign in to our services, you are not anonymous to us
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under age 13. You must be 18 years of age or older to create an account.
iStoryBooks also collects personally identifiable information from you when you download content, when you use products or services, when you visit iStoryBooks pages or the pages of certain iStoryBooks partners, and when you enter promotions or sweepstakes or send us an email. iStoryBooks may combine information about you that we have with information we obtain from business partners or other companies.
iStoryBooks collects information about your transactions with us and with some of our business partners, including information about your use of the services that we offer.
Like most Web sites, iStoryBooks automatically receives and records information from your browser on our server logs from your browser, including your internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, iStoryBooks cookie information, and clickstream data.
A cookie or a Flash cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier that is sent to your browser from a web site’s computers and stored on your computer’s hard drive.
- Each web site can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser’s preferences allow it.
- You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. (Each browser is different, so check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.) If you reject cookies, you may not be able to use iStoryBooks products or services that require you to sign in, and you may not be able to take full advantage of all of our offerings.
- iStoryBooks may set and access iStoryBooks cookies on your computer.
- Third party companies may show advertisements on some of our web pages. If you click on a third party ad, they may set and access their cookies on your computer. Please be aware that this policy does not cover other companies’ cookies, which is subject to their own privacy policies. Advertisers or other companies do not have access to iStoryBooks’s cookies.
A clear gif (also known as a web beacon) is an electronic file on a web page that allows a web site to count users who have visited that page or to access certain cookies. iStoryBooks uses clear gifs to access iStoryBooks cookies inside and outside our network of web sites and in connection with iStoryBooks products and services . The cookies and clear gifs that we use do not collect personally identifiable information from you.
We do not link data collected from cookies or web beacons to your personally identifiable information.
Surveys or Contests
From time to time iStoryBooks may provide persons over the age of 13 with the opportunity to participate in contests or surveys on our site. If you participate, we will request certain personally identifiable information from you. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. The requested information typically includes contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as zip code).
We use this information to notify contest winners and award prizes, and to send participants an email newsletter, if they choose to receive it.
We use a third party service provider to conduct these surveys or contests; that company is prohibited from using our users’ personally identifiable information for any other purpose. We will not share the personally identifiable information you provide through a contest or survey with other third parties unless we give you prior notice and choice.
How We Use Your Information
iStoryBooks uses personal information for the following general purposes:
- to customize the advertising and content you see,
- to fulfill your requests for products and services,
- to improve our services
- to communicate with you
- to conduct research, and
- to provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients.
We share aggregate demographic information about our user base with our partners. We do not link aggregate user data with personally identifiable information.
We use the information collected in log files, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the site, to track users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole.
We store information that we collect through cookies, flash cookies, log files, clear gifs, and/or third party sources to create a “profile” of your preferences. We may link your personally identifiable information, and your purchasing history, to information in the profile, in order to provide tailored promotions and marketing offers and to improve the content of the site for you. We do not share your profile with other third parties. We may share your profile in aggregate form only.
We do not share personally identifiable information with third parties.
· iStoryBooks does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you or the children listed on your account with other people or non-affiliated companies except to provide products or services you’ve requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- We provide personally identifiable information to trusted third parties who work on behalf of or with iStoryBooks under confidentiality agreements. For instance, we use third parties as our agents (such as a credit card processing company to bill you for goods and services) These companies may use your personal information to help iStoryBooks communicate with you, or to provide offers from iStoryBooks and our marketing partners. These third parties are prohibited from using your personally identifiable information for any other purpose.
- We respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- We believe it is necessary to share information in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of iStoryBooks’s terms of service, or as otherwise required by law.
· [iStoryBooks may display targeted advertisements. Advertisers (including ad serving companies) may assume that people who interact with, view, or click targeted ads meet the targeting criteria. iStoryBooks does not provide any personal information to the advertiser when you interact with or view a targeted ad. However, by interacting with or viewing an ad you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad. ]
Communications from Us
Based upon the personally identifiable information you provide us when you register for iStoryBooks, we will send you an email with a link to activate your account. After you activate your account, we will send you a welcoming email. We also will communicate with you in response to your inquiries, to provide the services you request, and to manage your account (for instance, to help you if you forget your password). We will communicate with you by email or telephone, in accordance with your wishes.
We will send you service-related announcements when it is necessary to do so. For instance, if our service is temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send you an email. Generally, you may not opt-out of these communications, which are not promotional in nature. If you do not wish to receive them, you have the option to deactivate your account.
With your permission, we will occasionally email you information on products, services, special deals, promotions. If you wish to subscribe to our newsletter(s), we will use your name and email address to send the newsletter to you. When you sign up to create an account you will be asked your preference for receiving these communications from us. Additionally, out of respect for your privacy, we provide you additional ways to manage your marketing preferences – e.g., unsubscribing from newsletters or cease receiving marketing related emails. See “Choice and Opt-out” below for further information.
You Can Review, Edit, and Delete Your Account Information and Preferences
We take steps to ensure that the personal information we collect and process is accurate, complete, and current. Nonetheless, we depend on our members to update or correct their personal information.
- iStoryBooks reserves the right to send you certain communications relating to the iStoryBooks service, such as service announcements, administrative messages, and other communications that are considered part of your iStoryBooks account, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
- You can delete your iStoryBooks account or remove a child from your account by visiting our Account Deletion page <include link>. If you ask iStoryBooks to delete your iStoryBooks account, in most cases your account will be deactivated and then deleted from our user registration database in approximately 90 days. This delay is necessary to discourage users from engaging in fraudulent activity.
- Please note that any information that we have copied, including registration data, may remain in back-up storage for some period of time after your deletion request. This may be the case even though no information about your account remains in our active user databases.
When we ask for personally identifiable information, we provide you the opportunity to opt out of having your personally identifiable information used for certain purposes. For example, if you purchase a product/service but do not wish to receive any additional marketing material from us, you can indicate your preference on the form.
If you no longer wish to receive our newsletter and promotional communications, you may opt out of receiving them by following the instructions included in each newsletter or communication, by using the tools on your account profile page, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be notified when your personal information is collected by any third party that is not our agent or service provider, so you can make an informed choice as to whether or not to share your information with that party.
How We Protect The Confidentiality and Security Of Your Information
The security of your personal information is important to us. We limit access to personal information about you to employees who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs. We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with generally accepted industry standards to your protect personal information. We do not retain any personal information beyond the time it is needed.
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we strongly encourage you to keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person, including your child. If you disclose your password to your child, your child may have access to books that you may not approve of We encourage parents to manage and monitor their children’s libraries. We recommend that you build a strong password and change it regularly. We will not be liable for any loss that you may incur because of someone else using your password or account, either with or without your knowledge. If you suspect your password has been misused then please contact us right away at email@example.com.
If you forget your password, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance or follow the instructions provided on the Members Only Log In screen.
When you enter credit card on our registration forms, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
Please keep in mind that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
iStoryBooks does not target its website or services to children under the age of 13, but it does take measures to help protect those who happen to be under 13. We do not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information about persons under 13 years of age, and do not disclose any such information to third parties.
Surveys and Feedback: We may collect aggregate information in connection with surveys or other online activities that allow your child to give us feedback. We do not collect any personally identifiable information in connection with surveys or feedback requests, nor is the information provided connected to any personally identifiable information we may have about the child.
If we learn that personally identifiable information of persons less than 13 years of age has been collected without verified parental consent, then we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information.
Parents are strongly urged to supervise their children’s activities online.
Countries in Which Data is Processed
Links to Other Sites
This privacy statement applies only to information collected by the iStoryBooks Web site. iStoryBooks contains links to other sites that are not owned or controlled by iStoryBooks. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every Web site that collects personally identifiable information.
iStoryBooks may update this policy. We will provide you with at least 30 days’ notice before making any significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address specified in your iStoryBooks account or by placing a prominent notice on our site.
California Privacy Rights
A California resident who has provided personal information to a business with whom he/she has established a business relationship for personal, family, or household purposes (“California customer”) is entitled to request information about whether the business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. In general, if the business has made such a disclosure of Personal Information, upon receipt of a request by a California customer, the business is required to provide a list of all third parties to whom personal information was disclosed in the preceding calendar year, as well as a list of the categories of personal information that were disclosed.
Effective Date: December 01, 2012
- Personally Identifiable Information includes any information that can identify or be used to contact, or locate a specific individual – for example: name, address, email address, and telephone number.
- Non-Personally Identifiable Information (NPI) includes data that does not by itself identify a specific individual – for example, web usage information (e.g., browser type) and demographic information (e.g., age range, gender).
- Aggregate data, which generally is NPI about individuals that is combined into a total with other individuals information and is essentially anonymous.